As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11.15-11.21

11.15 OFF

11.16 6 miles in 43:30. This felt pretty good. My calves were tight, but I felt good. Honestly, that Seacoast Half weighed on me like an albatross psychologically, because I knew my training had stalled the last 6 weeks after my 80 mile week in September.

Having somehow still running a decent half, but not great, I feel very good going into this winter and confident that I simply need to just train for a whole season and see what I can do in 2011. I expect huge things next year, but I will train intelligently and consistently. I don't know if I'll ever catch the likes of Bob Wiles!, but with serious training I can at least get much faster!!

11.17 6 miles in 47 minutes

11.18 6 miles in 42:45. I feel pretty good. I am still a little sore.

11.19 10 miles in 62:43. I pretty much just started out at a comfortably solid pace and sought to maintain it. Other than soreness around my ankles, this was not difficult. Been a while since I went for a double digit mile training run. This was a nice run.

11.20 5 miles am 34:45. 6 miles PM (42:39)

11.21 6 miles in 43:48 with 2 miles in the middle running with my oldest son.

45 miles for the week.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is fair to call your half marathon debut great. You're tough on yourself and hungry to improve, so as soon as you finish a race you're looking forward to running faster next time. Don't let this stop you from enjoying the success you're currently recovering from. (This is advice I have to give myself all the time, maybe it applies to you right now as well.)

    You are exactly right...consistency is the key. You don't need one huge week or miles or one killer workout, we get better with consistent training and repetition over time. The great news about that is that you just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be even faster next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob. You are right on a couple fronts. I should enjoy things as they are. Sunday was cathartic for me--like a psychological barrier I defeated.

    I'm just going to keep running consistently and enjoy the process. Running is the one time during my day when I am not beholden to deadlines, other people's queries, work, school, my kids, etc. Even though Suzi hates running, she will have to learn to live with it!

    ReplyDelete