As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

End of June report on previous training

I have been running semi seriously for the past 3 years--probably averaging 20 miles a week with the occasional week up to 60 miles and some as little as 10. In the past few months, however, I have gotten more serious and have been averaging around 35 miles with the last month about 45 miles per week and finally with some interval training.

I'm ramping things up now and looking to run a marathon for the first time in October and will start to race about 2 times a month in preparation to go along with more strategic works outs.

2 week ago, I did an interval work out as follows:

1 mile Warm up

1 mile 5:20, rest for 2 minutes, 1 mile 5:21, rest two minutes; 800 in 2:37, rest for 1 minute, 800 in 2:35, rest one minute; 400 in 76, rest 35 seconds, 400 in 76, rest 35 seconds, 400 in 74, rest 34 seconds, 400 in 74, rest 35 seconds.

This past week, I did 6 times 800 with 400 jog in between (2:20 rest) as follow: 2:33, 2:32, 2:31, 2:31, 2:31, 2:29--this was done on a treadmill, so most likely is not accurate at all

Today, I ran 7.5 easy miles in about 57 minutes this morning and then 4.75 miles in the evening in about 38 minutes after 10 miles yesterday, including a 5 mile race in 28:38. The course was hilly and I was not as prepared as I wanted to be, but I am very happy with the result. I feel very good today. I will look to get up to an average of between 50 to 60 miles by the end of july. My goal is to be able to run sub 16:30 for a 5k this summer and maybe sub 2:50 for a marathon. Honestly--I have no idea, but these goals do not seem outrageous. My ultimate goal is to break my 5k personal record I set when I was 15 years old, which was 15:47!

Mile log last 4 weeks

40 miles, 41 miles, 44 miles, and this week 32. I tapered a bit for yesterday's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment