As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Monday, June 6, 2011

6.6-6.12

6.6 First, I would advise anyone against eating 4 pieces of pizza before running--bad idea.

Anyhow, I ate pizza and then decided to get through a track workout after a tough week last week I did 2 by 2400's at goal 10k pace with a 400 meter recovery followed by 4 by 200's with a 200m jogging recovery.

2 mile warm up, then 2400 in 7:50 (5:13 pace); 400m jogging recovery in 1:49; 2400 in 7:55 (5:17 pace); 400m recovery in 2:00; 4 by 200's in 29,30,30,30. 1.5 miles cool-down.

8 miles total. I felt okay here--not a maximum effort but a strong one and the 200's were painful.

Easy day tomorrow, then a sharp little workout planned for Wednesday, then 2 easy days leading up to Market Square 10k. Solid 8-day stretch of workouts since a pretty subpar redhook 5k. That redhook race really doesnt sit well with me. Anyhow--I dont want to beat a dead horse.

6.7 5.25 miles easy. First low mileage day in well over a week. My son did a great track workout today again.

6.8 2 miles warm up. 4 by 1200's at a comfortably hard pace with 200 meter jogging recovery. 3:52, 3:52, 3:53, 3:51. Recoveries averaged 63 seconds. 1.75 miles cool down.

7.25 miles total. Next two days will be easy. Ill probably get to Portsmouth at 6am tomorrow and jog the MSD 10k course. I have approached this 10k very different ly than other races since I havent tapered at all. Im interested to see how I run on Saturday. Physcially, I know I am ready for a great day, but mentally I tend to psyche myself out--we will see, but I plan on going out hard and not backing off like I did at redhook.

6.9.11 6.5 miles running the MSD 10K course. Interesting course and goes over many of the roads I run everyday, but also several I never run.

6.10 5 miles easy

6.11 1.4 mile warmup, including strides. 10k in 33:08. 1.1 mile cool down. 8.7 miles total.

I am very pleased with this race result. I started out strong, but relaxed and actually was leading a pack of us for the first half mile or so, but I was simply waiting for the guys I knew were better to go ahead of me. When they did, I tucked behind them and held on for a while, which was exciting. I lost touch with the 3 top guys after about 2 miles and lost the 4th place guy at around 3 miles, but I kept him close enough to key off of him. I ran my last .2 in 58 seconds, so I had a great kick and overall I am pleased. Two 16:34 5k's back to back is exciting when last July I ran a 17:07 5K and felt like I was going to die!

For whatever reason, I enjoyed running the 10k distance. It didnt seem as frenetic and I was able to run in a rhythm. I also did not psyched myself out for a change.

Hats off to Bob Wiles, Jim, and Nick who all ran great. Im glad we have such great runners in the area, because it gives me something to shoot for.

5.3 miles PM (38 minutes)

14 miles total for the day

6.12 10 miles in 73:47.

56 miles for the week

All in all a great week. I finally ran a race that I felt approximated where I am at in training and will keep working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment