As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

4.25-5.1

4.25 First, I want to say that my endurance is not exactly where I want it to be! I planned on doing a 6 mile tempo tonight and wanted to average the equivalent of maybe 5:18 a mile, but I ended up just doing a 5 mile tempo run in 27:10 on the treadmill at 2% incline for an equivalent track time of 26:45. 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.

I think I started out too fast. I'll keep plugging away. My problem is I am trying to do what Mr. Wiles does and I am not quite there yet--lol. I'll keep working. The ffort was there last night--that is for sure.

4.26 6 mile progression run in 37:50 on treadmill at 2% incline. I didnt mean for this to be a progression run but my legs felt awesome and I realized after my fourth mile I was really picking the pace up. Splits were 7:35, 6:28, 6:26, 6:11, 5:55, 5:15. My last mile was the equivalent to a 5:10. All in all, I am pleased because this was not an over the top effort by any means, but it shows me that a 5:10 pace is something I feel semi-comfortable with and will be my goal pace for a 10k this summer. Last year, when I semi-hammered the last mile in anything I was in the upper 5:20's.

4.27 7.5 easy miles in Rye and on trails around Odiorne Point State Park. Very relaxing. I didnt wear a watch and didnt care about the time or pace.

4.28 2 miles warm-up. (2 x mile (5:08, 5:08), 2 x 800 (2:30, 2:29), 4 X 200 (33, 32, 32, 32) 200 jog recovery after miles, 200m jog after 800s, 100m jog after 200's. 2.25 cool down. 8.5 total.

I did this on the track.

4.29 5 miles outside in 35:40. Nice and Easy.

4.30 11 miles outside in 73 minutes. I started out around 7:35 pace and worked my way down. I felt good, although my knee is tweaked a little bit from Thursday night.

5.1 3 miles AM easy in 22:10. 4.75 miles early afternoon with my oldest son in 36:45. He did 4 miles of it with me. 4.25 late afternoon in 31 minutes. All nice and easy runs. 12 miles for the day.

58 miles for the week. Lighter mileage again, but several solid workouts.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that is a solid tempo. We have to remember not to race our workouts, which can be hard to hold back at times. Plus I think 2% adds quite a bit to the workout. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob. I guess it is still good to get upset with ourselves--keeps us hungry for improvement.

    ReplyDelete