As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

4.18-4.24

4.18 I was starting to think maybe I had overtrained to the point where I'd have to take some time off. However, I decided to give it a go at the gym on the good old treadmill. As it turns out, I think I am just psyching myself out and just getting nervous about actually racing again. I need to believe I am ready to tear it up.

1 mile warm up. 5 mile tempo run at 2% incline in 27:14, which equals 26:49 on the track and 5:22 pace. 1 mile cool down. I felt fairly relaxed for this tempo run.

To put this into perspective, I did a 5 mile tempo in February in 27:48 on the treadmill, so this was 34 seconds faster. All in all, I guess I am where I should be. Once thing I will absolutely do from now is is to run slower and less on my recovery days. I'll be looking to reduce my weekly miles from around 80 a week to around 60 or so.

4.19 7 miles on treadmill at 2% incline in 54 minutes. Nice and easy.

4.20 5 miles easy treadmill. I am purposely taking it easier for these slower days and Im feeling stronger because of it.

4.21 10 miles total. This was a brutal workout and I couldnt complete it as I orginally envisioned. The rest was so short and my legs just didnt have the strength--but I think this was a solid effort.

2 miles warm up. Then--on treadmill at 2% incline, I did 3 by 1.5 mile repeats. Times were 7:51, 7:53, 7:53, which equates to 7:43, 7:45, 7:45 and 5:10 pace. 200 recovery jogs for 1 minute after each repeat and then I did 4 by 200's at 4% incline at 12.5 miles per hour. 2.5 mile cool down.

Maybe I bailed too early and should have tried for the final 1.75 mile repeat I wanted to do at the end, but I felt roasted during the last repeat. But--I havent been doing tons of speedwork lately, so this was a nice first step along with the tempo run on monday after feeling last week like I'd have to pack it in for a while due to overtraining. Next week, I will try this workout again and finish it hell or high water.

4.22 13 miles outside in 88:50. I started out at 7:30 pace and worked my way down to around 6:10 at the end with very minimal effort. Nice longer run and felt fine.

4.23 8 miles easy on treadmill at 2% incline in 62:50.

4.24 5 miles easy outside in 35 minutes.

55 miles for the week. Low mileage week, but two solid workouts and a long run so I am happy. It is funny to think 55 miles is a low week whereas at this point last year it would have been record-breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment