As a youth, I ran, yet I did not exist in a sense. 19 years passed. Today, I exist in one sense because I must run. Perhaps I run to escape the futility of my existence. Perhaps not. In either case, this blog, or whatever it is, will serve to chronicle my training as a runner, my development as a man, and ultimately my demise as a human, because all things pass, fade, retreat into the horizon--and while we run, as we run, the mirage that is the shimmering, glimmering future continues to assert itself just out of reach. And yet, as this picture up above connotes, it may still be beautiful. And so the question may be what is IT? What is it? What is IT?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1.17 - 1.23

1.17 8 miles in 57:30.

1.18 14 miles total on treadmill at 2% incline. First 2 miles in 15:19, next 10 miles were at tempo pace in 58:24 (equivalent to 57:05 outside on track at 5:42.5 pace, last 2 miles in 15:02.

This was an intense run. My breathing was pretty good, but my mind wanted to quit at around 5or 6 miles, so I am happy to get this under my belt. This is a 10 mile PR for me. After studying more about training, I realize I need to incorporate variety into my training. Tempo runs and faster workouts are essential.

1.19 10 miles treadmill (2% incline) in 76:30. I went easy and had no choice. I felt like I had lead weights in my legs.

1.20 8 miles in 59 minutes.

1.21 2 miles warm up. 6 by 800's with 60 second rest on treadmill at 2% incline. I did them all in 2:30, which is 2:28 pace outside. 2 miles cooldown.

I am very pleased with this workout. I toughed it out the last three for sure.

7 miles total.

1.22 I am in Meredith for the weekend. Lots of mountains here so the running is solid up here. 9 miles am in 70 minutes. 5 miles pm in 37.

2.23 6 miles in 44:26.
I feel tired today.

67 total miles, but a couple very intense workouts. Great week overall.

2 comments:

  1. That is a solid tempo, especially with the 2% incline. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. The last 2 miles were tough--especially the last one. Honestly, the hardest part was psychological.

    ReplyDelete